Saturday, September 8, 2007

Almond Butter


As I posted previously, I made Kato some fresh butter from raw almonds. I was giving him his meds in peanut butter, but the brand I was using has sugar in it, so I decided to simply make some of my own.

I'm notoriously deficient in the kitchen, so this is the best I can do by way of a "recipe." lol

I used approx 1 cup of raw, uncooked almonds - you can roast them, but it's better to use them raw.
Extra virgin olive oil - If I make it again, I'll use Flax oil, but this was all I had in the house.

Grind the nuts in a coffee grinder until you have a fine powder, although a few chunks are fine. I used my very old blender and the nuts were flying all over the place. It got the job done though.

Add oil, a tbsp at a time, until you reach the desired consistency. I would make it a bit runny because it thickens up in the fridge.
I didn't add anything else because I wanted it to be as pure as possible for Kato. You could add some salt and honey.
Transfer to a glass jar and store in the fridge.

Not much of a recipe, but he loves it!

If I keep this up, I may have to buy The Magic Bullet I saw on a late night infomercial!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such a good Mom, Dee!

Dee and Kato said...

Thanks, Joyce!

How are you?

Unknown said...

Hi Dee! Doing great. I just love reading Kato's blog. I look at his photos over and over.

Dee and Kato said...

Thanks so much, Joyce! I have tons of pics of him, but many of them are older and the quality isn't the greatest. I'll have to put a few of them up. :)

He's leaving for chemo in about an hour.

Have a great day!

Hugs to you, T, D, & H!