Sunday, October 14, 2007

Happy Gotcha Day, Kato!


It's been 6 amazing years with Kato.

I'll never forget the first time I saw him. I had just lost my dog, Ivan, to cancer and was discussing my thoughts on fostering a Pit bull with my sister. I had been crying all day over Ivan and went to my room to rest for a while. About two hours later there was a knock on my bedroom door. I opened it and there was Kato, pitifully thin, full of cuts, and shaking like a leaf. He was being held as evidence in a cruelty case and had hung himself in an attempt to escape his kennel. When my sister saw him he was huddled in the back of a padded cage, (to prevent further injury) so she brought him home to me. I took him into my arms and have never looked back.
It was one of the best and worst weeks of my life.

Happy Gotcha Day, baby boy! :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, what great pictures and such a touching story. I am in love with Kato! Give him love from me today. The picture with the beret is simply too cute. Keep getting better Kato!

Love,
Shelly

Unknown said...

I love that photo.

Everytime I read about his past, "he hung himself to escape the kennel", I shed a tear for him.

Thankfully, a higher power brought you two together.

Anonymous said...

ahh...you both are so lucky to have found each other!! Congrats on 6 years together!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on 6 wonderful years and many more to come! :)

Kato has sure touched my heart and I have never met him "in person" ("in dog"?) so I can imagine how important he is in your life. :)

tetralina and FE

Dee and Kato said...

Thanks Shelly, Joyce, Sugary & T! :)

I'm not sure if I ever told anyone this, but my sister had chosen a white female Pit Bull named, Petie, to bring home for me to foster, but changed her mind when she saw Kato.
I think the shelter people had just about lost hope for him, but asked her just to take a look and she knew she couldn't leave him there.

He has turned out to be the perfect dog for me!